Get started on your new career today!
The Sunny Weather May Call You Outdoors, But Your Best Bet is to Stay Focused on the Books
As the days get a little longer, and the sun shines brighter, it becomes harder and harder to stay focused on school. The dog days of summer battle with temperature controlled classrooms, and the warm days tempt you to set aside your academic efforts and give you reasons to play in the sunshine.Summer can wreak havoc on motivation levels. Here are 10 tips to help you get through those dog days of summer. (Image Credit)
Here are 10 simple ways you can commit to your academic goals – even during the summer months!
1. Stay on Top of It – Although you may want to slow things down and maybe even take a break, this is the time to power through it. Losing focus now does more than slow you down in the summer; it could put you behind when you make the transition into the fall.
2. Keep a List – Take a moment to jot things down that you need to get done from day-to-day. Work your way slowly through the list at a manageable pace. Don’t beat yourself up if you fall short, just add any incomplete tasks to the next day’s list.
3. Set a “Quitting Time” for the Day – In order to keep going, you have to allow yourself a time to stop. Establish a time in the evening to call it a day, or make Sunday your day off. Remind yourself that rest and relaxation are vital to continued productivity.
4. Treat Yourself to Small but Meaningful Summer Indulgences – Keep a folder of fun summer events or simple pleasures nearby. Schedule at least one a week to keep you from getting cranky or from feeling as though summer is passing you by.
5. Re-evaluate Your Vision – Vision can get lost in the day-to-day grind. Write down why you signed up for classes and what your ultimate goal is once they’re completed.
6. Take a Breather – Take time to take a break, particularly when you feel overworked. It will afford you better results and feel even more fulfilling when you return with a rested outlook.
7. Revise your routine – Small changes make a big difference in motivation levels. Changing your environment can lead to an increased energy boost and even a burst of fresh thinking.
8. You can stand anything for 15 – And you can get a lot done in 15 minutes. If you chip away at it bit-by-bit, it’s not only less painful but even tolerable.
9. Find ways to walk – It’s easy to get sleepy when you work at a desk all day in warm weather. Walking raises serotonin levels, which leads to sharpened focus and increased energy levels.
10. Never underestimate the power of an ice cream cone – Just knowing that when you finish your tasks for the day there’s an ice cream waiting for you can make all the difference. It’s the simple pleasures in life that offer the biggest reward at the end of a hard day’s work.
Keep your eyes on the prize even when the summer weather beckons you outdoors. When you learn how to buckle down – even under temptation – you’ll be better able to manage what life throws your way in the future.
Hochwald, Lambeth. “13 Tips to Stay Motivated in the Dog Days of Summer.” Entrepreneur. Entrepreneur Media, Inc., 22 July 2012. Web. 11 May 2015. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/224054.
Medved, Whitney. “Stay Focused: End of the School Year Tips for Students.” News and Community. Diablo Magazine, Mar. 2009. Web. 11 May 2015. http://www.diablomag.com/D-blog/News-and-Community/March-2009/Stay-Focused-End-of-the-School-Year-Tips-for-Students/.
“Natural Serotonin Boosters To Help Anxiety And Depression.” Overcoming Your Anxiety. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2015. http://overcomingyouranxiety.net/natural-serotonin-boosters/.