Get started on your new career today!
High Performance Engine Building Requires More Than Simple Automotive TuningLearn how to work on high performance engines in the Automotive Technician training program at IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs
today. (Image credit)
What Do High Performance Engine Builders Do?
Automotive technicians who specialize in high performance engines diagnose, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain engines of vehicles used in national and local car races or private pleasure driving.
Find Out If You Have the Desire and Talent Needed to Become a Successful High Performance Engine Technician
Individuals with an appreciation for high-speed and high performance vehicles with a strong attention to detail should look closely into automotive training courses, specifically, high performance engine building and repair.
This career path requires knowledge and understanding of engine mechanics – and of course, a passion for high-speed vehicles – and it can lead to an exciting future.
“Students really like understanding the facts about high performance components; what they do, or don’t do, and how engines really work and develop power,” says Cory Woerth, Automotive Technology Associate Program Supervisor at IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs.
A Career in High Performance Engine Repair Starts With Training
While the sound of a highly developed performance engine engine may stir a passion for a future career, you may not know the first thing about how to make that happen.
- A high performance engine technician has expertise in specialized vehicle service and maintenance.
- He/she also needs to understand the stability and safety factors of vehicles intended to perform risky maneuvers at high speeds.
What Should You Look for in an Automotive Technician Training School with High Performance Engine Building Courses?
Woerth explains it’s really about a solid foundation for performance engines. “We try to discuss a wide variety of high performance engines. This includes all types of racing engines, modified high performance street engines, even factory stock ‘high output’ or special models.”
Schools with high performance engine repair should offer training that includes:
- Learning how to disassemble, design, blueprint, and assemble a high performance engine
- Demonstrating knowledge in specialized vehicle service and maintenance
- Increasing the power of diesel and automotive engines
- Rebuilding cylinder heads
- Modifying power trains
- Porting and polishing cylinder heads
- Determining specific performance accessories needed
- Tuning custom engines, suspensions, and exhaust systems
- Using dynamometers and other diagnostic equipment
- Assembling and designing nitrous oxide, turbocharged and supercharged engines
- Ensuring the stability and safety of vehicles intended to execute dangerous maneuvers at excessive speeds
What Else Does it Take to Be Successful at High Performance Engine Building?
Training is just the beginning of building a successful career as a high performance engine mechanic. Both small and large repair garages and customers look for mechanics who:
- Are detail-oriented
- Can troubleshoot and problem solve
- Have strong dexterity
- Can apply mechanical and technical skills
- Recognize the value of solid customer service relationships
Shift your career into gear with high performance engine repair training that includes more than basic automotive repair.
- Learn how to use the latest instruments to calibrate engines for maximum performance.
- Understand how to rebuild and maintain critical engine parts to improve performance.
- After completing multiple runs on an engine, see how minor changes can increase performance from good to great.
About IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs
IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs offers hands-on career training in the automotive technician, biomedical equipment repair technician, computer network systems technician, medical assistant, personal trainer and refrigeration & HVAC technician fields with associate degree (occupational) programs. Request information at www.IntelliTec.edu or call 719-373-1690.
Cory Woerth, Automotive Program Lead Instructor at IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs.