Get started on your new career today!
Fall is in the air and that means back-to-school.Set academic goals for yourself and find success on your very first day of school
Whether you’re returning to campus or just starting your college career much of your future success is determined by how you handle the first few weeks of school. You may think that what you do in the beginning of the term isn’t that important, but nothing could be further from the truth.
If you’re looking for a few simple ways to outline your academic plan, look no further. Here are some sure-fire ways to steer your education toward “outstanding” results.
Top 10 Back-to-School Tips
- Determine your goals and outline your academic plan – write them out, and then remember them. – Whether you seek a degree or job advancement, you need to know what you want and in what field.
- Treasure your syllabi – as soon as you get them, make a master schedule with all the deadlines and assignments you’ll have for the rest of the term. You can do this the low- tech way (a regular calendar or day planner), or a more high-tech way with Google Calendar or iStudiez Pro for Mac, iPhone or iPad—whatever you’re most comfortable using. Set alerts for crunch times and key projects. Reread your syllabi often, as they may contain the teachers’ expectations, guidelines for writing papers, clues about
exams, and other tips that will come in handy throughout the course.
- Start studying as soon as possible – this is the perfect time to get a leg up on your studies. Keep up with all your assignments and, if possible, read ahead. The more you get done now, the easier it’ll be to keep your head above water when the work starts pouring in.
- Make connections from day one – forge new relationships with those in the same boat: just lean over and introduce yourself; the other person will probably be happy you’ve broken the ice. You can create a support system for studying as well as make a new friend. It makes going to class much more enjoyable!
- Establish healthy habits – this is the perfect time to develop smart strategies for sleep, diet, and exercise. Start right away to stick with them in the long run. Try to create a regular bedtime and get 7-8 hours of sleep. Eat well, exercise, and treat your body right! Remember: your brain can’t function at full capacity if your body is out-of-whack.
- Set realistic goals –learn to prioritize all of your responsibilities, and be flexible with your normal routines. Postpone tasks that can be put off until schoolwork is finished.
- Update your technical knowledge – higher education relies heavily on the use of technology, so ensure you are up to speed by taking some computer classes.
- Become familiar with school administrators – admissions counselors, academic advisors, and administrative personnel are all there to support you. Establish a good rapport with a variety of people who can better support your goals and situation by being on your education team.
- Get involved – including taking advantage of study groups and labs with your fellow students.
- Be positive – success is all in the attitude. Be positive and enthusiastic about your educational adventure. Remember why you are returning to learning, and keep those goals in your sight.
Make it easier to return to school by arming yourself with a few key skills to help you succeed. You’re likely to be more focused and goal-oriented and enjoy a rich education if you follow these de-stressing techniques.
image credit: http://succeedonline.asu.edu/top-ten-tips-for-success-in-online-classes/