Get started on your new career today!
People who skip breakfast are more than four times as likely to be obese than people who eat something in the morning.Better brain power begins with a nutrititious breakfast to fuel the thinking cylinders.
Yikes! It certainly explains why our parents always told us breakfast was the most important meal of the day. If you are trying to lose weight and want to adopt a new healthy lifestyle, starting the day hungry can lead to a number of problems when it comes to trying to lose weight and keep it off. Consider the following reasons to eat breakfast each and every morning.
1. It Revs up Your Metabolism
Eating breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism working well for the day. When your body receives food in the morning, it tells your brain that you’re going to need to start working to digest it. This wakes up the system and warms up the metabolism so it’s ready to work throughout the day. When you don’t eat breakfast in the morning, it actually slows your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode, trying to conserve the energy it has because it isn’t getting any more through nutrition. This decreases the amount of calories you’ll burn all day long.
2. It Keeps You from Binging
Skipping breakfast may save you calories for the time being, but it sets you up for failure throughout the rest of the day. This is because after not feeding your body for several hours overnight, a lack of food in the morning will leave you grumpy and hungry very early in the day. When lunchtime rolls around, you’re more likely to choose something high in fat and calories to satisfy your food cravings, because you’re starving.
3. It Keeps You in a Good Mood
Feeding yourself in the morning will keep your spirits up throughout the day for a number of reasons. First and foremost, since your body won’t think that it’s starving after a nutritious meal in the morning, it’s easier to get in a good mood and stay that way. It also provides plenty of needed energy to help you get through the regular tasks of your day, which can help keep your mood bright and optimistic. A healthy meal in the morning can also help to regulate your blood sugar levels through lunchtime, which plays a vital role in your mood.
Tips on eating a Quick and Healthy Breakfast
- Pick 2-3 foods, including at least one from each of the following food groups:bread and grain (i.e. cereal, toast, muffin), milk and milk product (i.e. low-fat yogurt, low-fat milk), fruit or vegetable group (i.e. bananas, apples, carrots)
- Pick up portable breakfast items when at the grocery store. You should buy foods like fruit, low-fat yogurt, whole grain breakfast bars, or granola bars for those mornings when you have to eat breakfast on the go.
- Replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
- Make an omelette! You can shorten preparation time by chopping up your vegetables ahead of time.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier. You can prepare and eat a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less.
- Plan ahead to eat breakfast. Decide what you are going to eat for breakfast before the next morning. You can save time by putting out your cereal items or cutting up some fruit the night before.
Eating something for breakfast is better than eating nothing at all. The more balanced your meal is, the better off you will be. Consider having a fruit smoothie and a bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh berries, which will revitalize your body and give you the energy needed to get through the day.