Get started on your new career today!
Now that you’ve been banished (okay, warned) from eating fast food, it’s time to look toward real alternatives.Too busy to cook? Check out some delicious snacks and meals prepared in mere minutes.
I felt it only fair to follow up to the Jan. 31 “Fast Foods Lead to Even Faster Problems” blog with some quick and healthful meal ideas. I’m posting several excellent websites at the bottom for delicious and nutritious meals-in-a-hurry. Don’t be put off by the “Teen Cookbook.” It has recipes from smoothies to spaghetti and everything in between. And it’s user friendly to get everyone on board the health wagon. Recipes start in page 30 of the pdf. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less – quick tip: use a smaller plate so food “fills” it.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Take action with simple but delicious alternatives
Healthy, Quick Meal Ideas (I made all of these…max time for prep: 15 minutes)
• Serve pre-cut vegetables and low-fat ranch dressing, canned peaches in 100% juice or fresh fruit, and low-fat milk.
• Serve breakfast for dinner—omelet with vegetables (try mushrooms, red pepper, onions, spinach, tomatoes, etc.), fat-free or low-fat milk, and fruit.
• Serve low-sodium canned soup, a side salad with low-fat or fat-free dressing, and low-fat yogurt.
Healthy Snack Ideas (I also made all of these…max time for prep: 3 minutes)
• “Ants on a log” (celery with peanut butter and raisins)
• Fresh or canned fruit (in 100% juice, not syrup) with fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt
• Whole-grain crackers with fat-free or low-fat cheese
• Whole-wheat bread or apple slices with peanut butter
• Quesadillas (fat-free or low-fat cheese on a whole-wheat tortilla)
• Unsalted pretzels or air-popped popcorn
• Baked tortilla chips and salsa
• Whole-wheat pita bread or cut up vegetables (peppers, carrots, etc.) with hummus
• Fat-free or low-fat milk or water instead of sugary fruit drinks and soda
Today’s Take – Away:
There’s more information out there on fast and easy meal prep than any one person can digest (pun intended), but if you can remember only one thing you’ll not only get healthier but lose weight and SAVE MONEY in the process.
Now, are you ready for a killer, motivating saying to get you through the days of change ahead? Wait for it…it’s pretty deep stuff.
“Eat less, move more.”