Get started on your new career today!
You may be wondering what sort of careers for cosmetologists are out there, or who is hiring. This article will answer these questions and more.
“…overall employment of barbers, cosmetologists and other personal appearance workers is projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations,” states the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment Outlook for Cosmetologist Careers
Employment will likely vary depending on which cosmetologist career you enter into, but in general, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects:
- “…employment as a hair stylist or cosmetologist is expected to grow at least 20% by 2018.”
- “…this growth will primarily come from an increasing population, which will lead to greater demand for basic hair services.”
Advancement Opportunities for Cosmetologists
Earnings can be expected to increase along with in-demand cosmetology skills and hands-on salon experience. There truly is something for everyone. There are options for growth for many cosmetologist career fields, including:
- Salon management
- Salon ownership
- Service or product sales
- Image consulting
- Teaching in a cosmetology school
Earnings for a Career in Cosmetology in Colorado
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, salaries can be expected to vary depending on area of expertise, level of employment, location and size of the salon, tips, bonuses, service commissions and number of hours worked. Many cosmetologists can also earn commissions on salon the products they are able to sell to their clients.
Top Factors Determining Cosmetologist Career Salaries
- Size and location of the salon
- Hours worked
- Level of skill and experience
- Area of expertise (Hair/Nails/Makeup/Skin)
- Tipping habits of clients
- Competition from other salons
- The cosmetologist’s ability to bring in and maintain regular clients
Now that you have the facts you can go into your new career in cosmetology with confidence. You know what to expect and what you can do to get the most out of your new career as a professional cosmetologist.[boilerplate about-pueblo]
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics; Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition: Barbers, Cosmetologists, and Other Personal Appearance Workers
- About.com: Cosmetologists, Hairdressers and Related Jobs: Career Information
- Beauty Schools Directory: Cosmetology Careers and Cosmetology Salaries