Get started on your new career today!
Congratulations! You’ve chosen to pursue a career as a cosmetologist in Colorado – which means you need to get your cosmetology licensing. This article outlines the steps you need to take to legally practice cosmetology in the state of Colorado by getting your license for cosmetology.
3 Steps to Getting Your Cosmetology Licensing
- Get an education from a state licensed school of cosmetology.
- Earn your cosmetology certification.
- Take and pass the stateboard of cosmetology exams to get your cosmetology licensing.
Step 1: Get an education from a state licensed school of cosmetology.
Finding a school of cosmetology in or close to your area of Colorado should be no problem. Start with an internet search including the name of the closest city near you. Find everything from specialized cosmetology schools to career colleges, such as IntelliTec College of Pueblo, which feature professional in-school cosmetology salons for hands-on training and experience that employers look for.
Step 2: Earn your cosmetology certification.
Once you have found your cosmetology school of choice, get to work! Certification may be less than 15 months away. The following is a list of cosmetology certification and cosmetology licensing requirements for Colorado.
Colorado State Board of Cosmetology Licensing Requirements
- Cosmetologist: 1800 (60 credits)
- Barber: 1500 (50 credits)
- Cosmetician: 600 (20 credits)
- Manicurist: 600 (20 credits)
- Hairstylist: 1200 (40 credits)
Step 3: Take and pass the stateboard of cosmetology exams for Colorado to get your cosmetology licensing.
Applying online for a cosmetology licensing in Colorado if you’ve never had a license from any other state:
- Go to the Colorado State Board of Cosmetology for information and you will be rerouted to the Pearson Vue website.
- At the Pearson Vue Website, download the application to apply for Colorado Licensure.
- Choose the practical skills examination you are applying for, such as Cosmetology, fill in your licensure history and pay the required exam fee of $75 and application fee of $30.
- Take and pass the practical skills examination
- Apply and pay a $30 fee for the written examination.
- Take the written examination.
- Receive your Colorado Cosmetology License and be qualified to work as a cosmetologist in the state of Colorado.
Applying for a cosmetology licensing in Colorado if you already have a license from another state:
Colorado uses licensure by endorsement for anyone holding an active Cosmetology license issued by another state.
- Apply for licensure by endorsement.
- Pay the required fee.
- Provide proper documentation.
- Fill out all the appropriate eligibility forms.
Start on the right path to success with professional career in Cosmetology. Follow these 3 simple steps to become a practicing Colorado State Licensed Cosmetologist.[boilerplate about-pueblo]
- Colorado Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Colorado Office of Barber and Cosmetologist Licensing
1560 Broadway, #1350, Denver, CO 80202
- Colorado State Board of Cosmetology: http://www.dora.state.co.us/Barbers_Cosmetologists/licensing.htm
- Pearson Vue: http://www.asisvcs.com/indhome.asp?CPCAT=2006STATEREG
- Beauty School Directory: http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/license_co.php