At IntelliTec College, we understand how important the classroom and training rooms are to the future of our students.
At the same time, we know that our career services department plays a pivotal role in helping students prepare for their futures, too, including assistance with finding a job in their field of choice.
3 Ways Our Career Services Department Will Help
However, that hardly does justice to all the ways they can help improve your prospects. Here are 3 specific ways they serve our students.
1. Helping You Decide on a Career
No matter which of our programs you choose, you’ll have a number of career options to choose from.
For example, if you decide to become a cosmetologist, you could cut hair. You could also focus exclusively on manicures and pedicures. Maybe your area of interest is providing beauty treatments to people’s skin.
Of course, you may not be 100% sure which specific field to focus on. This is another area where our career counselors can help.
Our team has experience helping students just like you. They will understand all of your options and help you better understand what to expect from each field. Often, they’ll even know of a graduate who was facing a similar decision and can give you advice based on their outcome.
Other important factors your career specialist will help you consider are your:
- Strengths – The Myers-Brigg Personality Test and Enneagram Test are both extremely helpful for assessing your unique strengths, but our counselors can guide you through this, as well.
- Ideal Work Setting – Where you work will have almost as much to do with your overall job satisfaction as what you actually do.
- Long-Term Goals – Where do you want to be in 5 years? How about 10? Our counselors can help you consider how these long-term goals should affect where you decide to apply for work.
2. Assisting with Contacting Clients
Before you can ever hope to start a new job after graduation, you need to actually get your resume in front of a potential employer.
While there are countless job sites out there, the spray-and-pray method – the practice of just sending out one resume after the next – doesn’t have a very solid track record.
Instead, you’ll be much better off taking a strategic approach with the assistance of one of our career counselors. They’ll have a good idea of where your training will be most valuable and can even tap into our alumni network to help you make valuable contacts.
3. Preparing for the Interview
Once you’re successful at scoring an interview, the next way our career services can help is by making sure you’re prepared for it.
This opportunity is absolutely pivotal. You have your foot in the door, which means the employer clearly sees promise in you.
Now all you need to do is make the right first impression and show the interviewer that you are, indeed, the right fit for their business.
One way to do this is by practicing the most common interview questions beforehand so you’re ready to give clear, well-thought-out, articulate answers. Some examples include:
- What’s your biggest weakness?
- Why did you choose this field?
- Why do you want to work for us?
While it’s important that you give great answers to each of these, we also believe that you should ask some questions during your interview, as well.
These may include questions like:
- What does your business value the most and how do you think I would be able to help further these values?
- If I am hired, what would you say is the most important thing I can accomplish during my first 60 days?
- How will you judge my success as an employee? What will use to measure my work after six months?
Don’t go into an interview without considering all the questions they could ask and how to answer them. Let our career services department help you prepare and you’ll walk into your interview with confidence.
Would You Like to Speak to Our Career Services Department
Are you excited about the prospect of furthering your education and beginning a new career path?
Contact us today and we’ll send you information about whichever program you’d like to pursue. We can also put you in contact with someone from our career services department who will explain all of the many ways they’ll help you land a job after graduation.