Get started on your new career today!
(This article was updated on: September 23, 2016)
When searching for personal training programs, the first thing you want to remember is that there are a lot of programs and certifications out there, but only a select few are going to give you legitimate training and give you to a solid foundation in the personal training industry.
How do you know what to look for in a personal training school?
The most important areas to pay attention to include: personal training certification preparation, quality training and professional instructors. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
Personal Training Industry Certification Exams
With hundreds of personal training certifications to choose from, many of which available to anyone who can pay the fee, it can be overwhelming for those looking for the real thing. We’ve narrowed down our top certification picks to four that can be found through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) certification
- Fitness Nutrition Specialist (FNS)
- Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES)
- Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Specialist (MMACS)
NASM is a leader in fitness education and certification. They occasionally partner with quality personal training schools to offer their specialized curriculum to a wider range of people.
Find Personal Training Schools with Quality Training
Quality training should be at the top of your list of must haves for finding a good personal training schools. A specialized personal training education program that caters to the individual is key to a student’s success.
- Training in human movements, functional assessment, nutrition and program design are just some of the features you should look for in a program.
- Learn the science behind fitness instruction if you want to be an effective personal trainer.
- You’ll also want to have a good knowledge of human anatomy and physiology.
- Sales and marketing are very important aspects in an industry fueled by self promotion. A good personal training school will teach you how sell yourself and to create close, lasting relationships with your clients to keep them coming back and selling you to their friends.
- Training in general business methods is also important. You’ll need to know how to develop ideas, create a business plan, produce a mission statement and define your target market. Knowledge in basic accounting, management and customer service is also a plus.
- Look for smaller class sizes, a career-focused curriculum and hands-on experience.
Professional Instructors Make the Difference at Personal Training Schools
Your instructors should be highly trained, experienced and knowledgeable in all areas of fitness. Pay attention to their credentials.
- A good instructor will have a Bachelors degree, Masters degree or even a PHD.
- They should hold certifications in the areas they teach.
- They will have been in the industry for many years and will have the expertise to show for it. An experienced, hands-on instructor is a must. Don’t settle for anything less.
Having the best certifications and the highest quality training from the most experienced and professional instructors will give you the edge you need to become the personal that everyone wants to work with.
Your future income can be directly proportional to the quality of the personal training education you will receive. Make sure you have chosen the most-qualified personal training school that offers you everything you see here and more. Start your search today at IntelliTec College of Pueblo or IntelliTec College in Colorado Springs.
- Choose an Accredited Personal Training School, National Academy of Sports Medicine, http://www.nasm.org/1/trainer_resources/Earn_Your_Fitness_Certification_from_an_Accredited_Personal_Training_School/ (visited April, 15, 2012)
- The 9 Best Personal Training Certifications, Personal Training Riches Path to Wealth, Personal Training Business Building Blog, n.p. http://www.personaltrainingriches.com/blog/the-9-best-personal-training-certifications (visited April, 15, 2012)